Coronavirus (COVID-19) Job Retention Scheme
Temporary scheme open to all UK employers for at least three months starting from 1 March 20. Designed to support employers whose operations have been severely affected by coronavirus (COVID-19).
Employers will use a portal to claim for 80% of furloughed employees’ usual monthly wage costs, up to £2,500 a month, plus the associated Employer National Insurance contributions and automatic enrolment employer pension contributions on that wage.
- All Furloughed employees must have been on our payroll on 28.02.20, can be both full and part time employees. Employees hired after 28.02.20 cannot be furloughed or claimed for.
- When on furlough, an employee cannot carry out any work for their company
- 3 weeks is the minimum length an employee can be furloughed for.
- A furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work or training, as long as it does not provide services to or generate revenue for, or on behalf of their company
- Employees on Maternity, Paternity, and Adoption leave will receive the normal company payment for this leave and the company will be able to claim 80% wage costs.
- When the scheme ends, depending on the circumstances of the Company at that time will determine whether employees return to their duties, it may be necessary to consider termination of employment (this would be done following the normal redundancy process).
- Employees who have been made redundant since 28/2/20 can be rehired and put on the scheme.
More detail here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme